Sunday, January 18, 2009

Salmon Pesto Pasta


Adapted from: Pillsbury Complete Cookbook

I am not stalking you, Bridget! Well, actually, I am stalking The Way the Cookie Crumble's 2008 favorites, which gave me the idea to make my own list for last year. I make a lot of salmon filets, but I've never mixed it in with both pasta and pesto, so I thought it would be a fun new dish to try.

I used jarred pesto, so the recipe came together quickly. I thought it was very good; I'm sure making your own pesto only enhances the flavors as Bridget does in her posted version. But pesto IS the overwhelming flavor in the dish, so if you're not a huge fan, you may want to take a pass. As I was setting out the bowls, my husband said, "I don't really like pesto." Whoops. I guess this was one of those occasions I was "cooking for my blog," as he so often jokes.



Salmon Pesto Pasta

Serves 2

8 ounces pasta
12 ounces salmon
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
5 ounces evaporated milk
½ cup pesto (recipe follows)
grated parmesan, for serving

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When water is boiling, add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta; stir to separate pasta. Cook pasta until al dente; drain. Pour evaporated milk into empty pot and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced to ¼ cup. Add cooked pasta to pot and stir to combine.

2. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat broiler. Line a baking sheet or pan with aluminum foil. Season skinless side of salmon liberally with salt and pepper, sprinkle with zest, then rub with olive oil. Broil until salmon is no longer translucent and is firm when pressed, about 10 minutes. Remove from broiler and sprinkle with lemon juice. Use fork to flake into bite-sized pieces. Skin will stick to foil and can be discarded.

3. Add salmon to pasta mixture and stir over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Top with parmesan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha, your husband is apparently the opposite of mine. He's crazy about pesto (and salmon, and he doesn't mind pasta so much either).