Saturday, November 15, 2008

Fresh Guacamole



Source: All Recipes

There are two things that will happen to you if you move to California: you will grow to love sushi and avocados. I had lukewarm feelings about both when I moved here, to the point of I was constantly saying at restaurants, "WHY DO THEY PUT AVOCADO ON FREAKING EVERYTHING?" I now realize it is a brilliant campaign by the California Avacado Commission to transform everyone into avocado lovers! Damn you, all powerful commission!

In any case, I have no idea when/if avocados are in season elsewhere, but fresh guacamole dip is TO DIE FOR! This recipe is a winner. I forgot to buy roma tomatoes so I ended up using half a can of canned, which I wouldn't suggest. Fresh tomatoes make all the difference! I would add half the lime juice and then taste--I don't like too much lime juice. And if you some queso cheese, sprinkle a bit on top before serving! Yum!

Guacamole

Prep time: 10 minutes
Ready in: 10 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:

3 avocados--peeled, pitted, and mashed
(Slice the top of the avocado lengthwise until you reach the pit, then twist. You'll have 2 halves. Remove the pit, and scoop out the innards.)
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup diced onion
3 tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)

Directions:

In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper, if desired. Refrigerate one hour for best flavor.

No comments: