Adapted from: Good Eats n' Sweet Treats
I literally saw this in Cooking This and That TODAY and immediately made it! I mean, really, how can you go wrong with this combination of ingredients? Simple prep, clean-up, and extremely satisfying! Unlike the other bloggers, I am lazy and used packaged taco seasoning. I would also suggest spraying the tortillas LIGHTLY. If you over-coat them (NOT THAT I DID), they'll take longer to crisp up.
1 1/3 pound package ground turkey or beef
1 package taco seasoning
Scant 1/3 cup water
6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
3 tablespoons chopped green onions
6 ounces refried beans
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (about 1 medium)
3/4 cup taco sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or Mexican cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the turkey until brown; drain. Return to the heat and add the taco seasoning and water. Continue to cook for several minutes, until cooked through, stirring often.
3. Spray both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray and place directly on the oven rack (about 3 at a time). Bake for about 6 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown and crispy. Watch carefully so they don't burn. Remove to a baking sheet and turn oven to 400 degrees.
4. Microwave the refried beans for 30-60 seconds, or until spreadable.
5. Lay 3 tortillas out on a baking sheet, and top each with 1/3 refried beans, 1/3 turkey mixture, and 1/4 cup cheese. Top with another tortilla and lightly press down.
6. Top the second tortillas with 1/4 cup taco sauce. Layer with 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup cheese, and 1 tablespoon green onions.
7. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into wedges and top with sour cream or salsa if desired.