Monday, March 23, 2009

Crispy Onion Strings



Source: The Pioneer Woman

I used to HATE onions. I typically omitted them in all forms of cooking. Over the past few years, I've used them more and loved them more. I even used to hate onion rings, but I've grown to love those, too. As soon as I saw these on Pioneer Woman's website, I knew I had to make them. They were incredibly easy and DELICIOUS! If you like onion rings, I think you'll be surprised by how simple it is to make them. The hardest part is sitting there and waiting for the oil to heat up. Once the oil is heated up, leave it on high. I reduced it, thinking it would continue to rise, but it dips quite a bit once you add in the onions.

I made these yesterday and just reheated some in the microwave, and they reheat quite well, too! 

Crispy Onion Strings
1 large onion
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
Slightly less than 1 tablespoon salt
Ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 to 2 quarts canola oil.

1. Slice onion very thin and seperate rings. Place in a baking dish and pour buttermilk over the rings. Refrigerate for at least one hour.

2. Add oil to a stainless steel Dutch oven or stockpot.  Clip a candy thermometer to the side. Turn heat on high and heat oil to 375 degrees.

3. While oil is heating, combine dry ingredients. Using tongs, take some of the onions and coat in the flour mixture. Tap to shake off the access, and plunge into the hot oil.  Use tongs to separate and let fry until golden brown. Remove onions and place on a paper-towel lined plate.

4. Repeat until onions are done. Enjoy!

2 comments:

♥Domestic Diva♥ said...

yummm, these look great!!!

10yearstogether said...

Hooooley moley those look good.