Sunday, October 5, 2008

Roast Sticky Chicken Rotisserie-Style and Garlic Mashed Potatoes Secret Recipe


Source: All Recipes

I like this recipe because it's delicious, fairly easy to make, and yet a great company dish, too. I've made the chicken for Christmas and Thanksgiving in the past. The best part is you mix the dry ingredients, rub them on the bird, and then pop it in the fridge overnight. The next day, all you have to do is take it out and put it in the oven. It couldn't be easier!

I did the prep for this on the same day I made the Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken, and I realized they have almost THE exact same herbs! This one just has white pepper in addition. I guess that lime makes all the difference!

Anyway, the day before, mix all the dry ingredients and rub it on the bird. I just use one, which means I halve all the dry ingredients, but stick to the original version if you're making 2.

Also note, the chicken has to cook for 5 hours! Sometimes it will be a little less, but plan for that time. I think cooking it at that temperature is part of what makes it so moist and tender.

Roast Sticky Chicken-Rotisserie Style

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours
Ready in: 5 hours, 10 minutes
Yields: 8 servings

Ingredients:

4 teaspoons of salt (I halve this)
2 teaspoons of paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 onion, quartered
2 4-pound whole chickens (you could probably buy a chicken already cut up, I've just never made it that way)

Directions:

1. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse thoroughly, pat try, and set aside. In a small bowl, combine all the dry herbs and mix well. Rub each chicken inside and out with the herb mixture.




This bird's all like, "What's up?"

Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken (or whatever you can fit). Place chicken in a resealable bag or doublewrap with plastic wrap. Refridgerable overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

3. Place chicken in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees. Let chicken(s) stand for 10 minutes before carving.

I love the leftovers, too. Once we eat dinner, I typically strip the remaining meat and save it for salads, sandwiches, etc. The drippings that are created while it cooks are to DIE FOR, too! I always save those with the chicken.


Garlic Mashed Potatoes Secret Recipe



This was the first time I'd tried this recipe and it did not disappoint! I made a couple of changes. I used 3/4 of the butter called for and instead of adding raw garlic, I roasted about 5 cloves by cutting off the top 1/3 of the clove, drizzling them with olive oil, wrapping in foil, and cooking in the oven at 375 for 45 minutes. I also thought the taste of oregano was too overpowering. I'd much rather let the taste of the cheese and garlic come through than the oregan. Next time I'll omit it completely.

I scaled it down to 5. The original recipe is for 100, so check out All Recipes if you'd like more!

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour
Serves 5

Ingredients:

2 and 1/2 pound unpeeled red potatoes, quartered
6 ounces of butter, room temperature (this is 12 tablespoons, I used 8)
2 and 1/2 ounces of Romano cheese, grated (5 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons and 1/4 teaspoons of chopped garlic
1 and 1/4 teaspoons of salt
1 and 1/4 teaspoons of oregano

Directions:

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 45 minutes; drain. Stir in butter, cheese, garlic, salt and oregano. Mash with a potato masher or with an electic mixer. I used my KitchenAid to just blend it--I like my potatoes a little chunky!

We both LOVED this dinner! It seemed fancy without a whole lot of effort, For timing info, I put the chicken in the oven at 1:00 and started the potatoes at 4:45.

2 comments:

Maryanna said...

I love a good roasted chicken, and you can't go wrong with garlic mashed potatoes.

The Lazy Housewife said...

I guess I should just rename this post "Comfort Food" :)