Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lemon Poundcake



Source: Kitchenlink

I saw this recipe on Simple, but delicious and knew I had to try it. I had not even registered for a Kitchen Aid mixer for our wedding, figuring no one would buy it, and I was shocked when my aunt and uncle brought it to our wedding. This seemed like the perfect way to break it in.

As I saw in the original recipe, this makes enough to fill a 9x13 pan. I did that, but had to add about 15 minutes for it to be done. As well, make sure you have toothpicks on hand! I kept testing it with a fork, which created some really nice looking chunks in the middle, since it forms a crust when it cooks. And make sure to smooth it out so it's as even on the top as possible--otherwise when you add the glaze, it will run off to the edges of the pan.

But anyway, DELICIOUS! It was so moist and fluffy. One of the best desserts I've made!

1 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon lemon extract

Lemon Glaze-
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.

2. Beat butter in a large bowl at medium speed of an electric hand-held mixer; gradually add oil, beating until well blended. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix just until blended after each addition. Stir in lemon extract.

3. Pour batter into a prepared pan. Bake at 300F for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.

4. Lemon Glaze: Combine glaze ingredients, stirring until sugar dissolves. Spoon glaze over top, a little at a time. Let lemon pound cake cool completely. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That poundcake looks soooo good! I love that it loks more fluffy than dense. yum!

Amy~ said...

We loved it too! Thanks for the time recommendation. I'll keep that in mind next time I make it.