Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pita Chips

Source: All Recipes

I needed some pita chips, but couldn't find any in my grocery store. Then I remembered...pita chips come from PITA BREAD! Sometimes I surprise myself with how smart I am.

I cut the pita bread in half so it was still like a pita pocket, and then cut those halves into 4 pieces, so my chips ended up being double-layered. Next time, I will cut the entire pita in half lengthwise and then cut into 8 pieces so the chips are thinner. I had to cook them for double the amount of time to get them crispy.

I LOVED this particular blend of spices, but next time I think I'll get an oil sprayer. Brushing the olive oil mixture on the pitas meant more oil got on the pitas, which made them a little less crispy and makes them go soft within a couple of days if you have leftovers. Lastly, a reviewer on All Recipes had also said she sprinkled Parmesan on top of these, which I think would be divine! I served these with hummus, but these are also delicious all on their own.

Pita Chips

INGREDIENTS:

12 pita bread pockets
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2. In a small bowl, combine the oil, pepper, salt, and basil.

3. Cut pita in half lengthwise, and brush with oil mixture, or spray with oil and sprinkle with herbs. Using a pizza cutter, cut each pita into 8 pieces.

4. Bake in the preheated oven for about 7 minutes, or until lightly browned and crispy. Watch carefully, as they tend to burn easily!

No comments: