Monday, June 29, 2009

Steak with Garlic Butter

Adapted from: All Recipes

I had a hankering for steak this weekend, and I love all things that combine garlic and butter, so this seemed a pretty easy pick. We don't have a grill, so I adapted this for the stovetop. I am still mastering cooking a steak well over the stovetop. A lot of time the outside is seared and the inside can get pretty rare. I still have some messing around to do with my temperatures, but one tip I picked up from The New Best Recipe when cooking filets is to place in a 450 degree oven until done. If you're not getting your desired doneness via stovetop, it's probably a good tip.

Another mistake I made is I made the steaks in one pan, then set them aside and figured I'd make the sauce in the same pan, what with brown bits being all the rage. What I did NOT count on was the pan being too hot. The sauce was fine, but the butter started foaming as I added it to the pan. Oh well, live and learn! If you don't like the taste of garlic powder, just add more fresh garlic!

Steak with Garlic Butter

1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons garlic powder
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 pounds beef top sirloin steak, 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick

1. Preheat a heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet over high heat until very hot. Meanwhile, season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper to taste.

2. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat with garlic powder and minced garlic. Set aside.

3. Lay the steaks in the pan, leaving 1/4 inch of space between them. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook, not moving the steaks until they are well-browned, about 4 mihutes. Using tongs, flip the steaks; cook 4 minutes for rare (120 degrees), 5 minutes for medium rare (125-130 degrees), and 6 minutes for medium (135-140 degrees). Transfer the steaks to a large plate, top with garlic butter sauce, and let rest 3-5 minutes before serving.

No comments: