Monday, February 2, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies



Source: Food Network--The Chewy by Alton Brown

Oddly enough, I have really grown out of having much of a sweet tooth. I do keep a cache of Hershey's chocolate bars with almonds around in case the urge strikes me, but I really prefer salty foods, as you can probably tell by the lack of sweets on here!




However, I saw these on Lovestoeat's and the cookie comparison on The Way the Cookie Crumbles' blog, and they just looked so good! I am a sucker for chewy cookies. When I make cookies, I try to bake them until they're just done so they don't fall apart as I eat them. The fact that these were made with bread flour was pretty intriguing. They were DELICIOUS! One note: I actually used a regular-sized ice cream scoop, and as a result, they were HUGE and took longer to cook. Just eyeball them so they're not too huge. They don't spread a lot like regular cookies.

Extra dough will keep for up to 2 weeks tightly sealed in the fridge or for up to 6 months in the freezer.

The Chewy

2 sticks unsalted butter
2¼ cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup sugar
1¼ cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Hardware:
Ice cream scooper (#20 disher, to be exact)
Parchment paper
Baking sheets
Mixer

1.Heat oven to 375F.

2. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

3. Pour the melted butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

4. Chill the dough ( I did for at least an hour), then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments: