Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Source: The New Best Recipe
I actually forgot about this book for awhile! I've been using my Cook's Illustrated online subscription a lot since Christmas, and I had also stored the book in a cupboard I don't go into much. This is an easy weeknight dinner that comes together quickly. I left out the capers since I don't like them, and I also forgot lemons, so I just added a little bit more lemon juice. It was very light and tasty!
2 large lemons
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fat trimmed and pounded thin
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small shallot, minced, or 1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves (I used 2 tsp dried)
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, set a large heatproof serving or dinner plate on the rack, and heat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Halve one lemon pole to pole. Trim the ends from one half and cut it crosswise into slices 1/8 to 1/4 inch think; set aside. Juice the remaining half and whole lemon to obtain 1/4 cup juice; reserve.
3. Sprink both sides of the cutlets generously with salt and pepper. Measure the flour into a shallow baking dish or pie plate. Coat cutlets with flour and shake off excess.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Lay half of the cutlets in the skillet. Saute until lightly browned on first side, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Turn and cook until second side is lightly browned, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes longer. Remove the pan from heat and transfer cutlets to the oven. Add the remaining oil and repeat process with remaining cutlets.
5. Add the shallot to the now-empty skillet and return the skillet to medium heat. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds (10 seconds for garlic). Add the broth and lemon slices, increase the heat to high, and scrap the pan bottom to loosen browned bits. Simmer until the liquid reduces to 1/3 cup, about 4 minutes. Add the reserved lemon juice and capers and simmer until the sauces reduces again to 1/3 cup, about one minute. Remove from heat and swirl in the butter until it melts and thickens the sauce. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve immediately.